Brown Bag Summer Storytelling Series
Friday 6/28/2019 12:00 pm
Friday 7/5/2019 12:00 pm
Friday 7/12/2019 12:00 pm
Friday 7/19/2019 12:00 pm
Friday 7/26/2019 12:00 pm
Friday 8/2/2019 12:00 pm
Friday 8/9/2019 12:00 pm
Friday 8/16/2019 12:00 pm
Friday 8/23/2019 12:00 pm
Friday 8/30/2019 12:00 pm
Friday 9/6/2019 12:00 pm
Tread of Pioneers Museum (800 Oak St.)
History of Steamboat
with the Locals Who Lived It!
- June 29: The Tread of Pioneers Museumís featured art exhibit, An Artistís View: Cultural and Heritage Landscapes, pays tribute to the Yampa Valley and its remarkable history through mixed media art. Join the exhibiting local artists as they discuss their art and inspiration in "An Artistís View."
- July 6: "Steamboat Springs Cemetery Tour." Meet us at the cemetery from 12:00 to 1:30 for this easy walking tour with historian Jim Stanko. Hear the stories and visit the gravesites of prominent citizens, determined pioneers, and brave veterans who played an important role in Steamboat Springsí history. Call 879-2214 with questions.
- July 13: "The Life of Margaret Duncan Brown." For 47 years, Margaret Duncan Brown ran a successful ranching operation completely alone in the Elk River Valley. Family descendant, Mary Walker, discusses Brownís life and diaries highlighted in the popular book "Shepherdess of the Elk River Valley."
- July 20: Utterback family member, Dian Utterback Dodson, shares her family history and memories from the historic home, now part of the Tread of Pioneers Museum, in "Family Home Turned Museum."
- July 27: "Rewriting My Fatherís Words." Routt County native Connie Wagner speaks about her experience writing her father Perley C. Greenís story, her familyís ranching history, and more.
- Aug. 3: Verna Decker Whaley presents "Decker Family History in Toponas." From her father filing a homestead claim in 1929 to raising her children, Whaley shares 91 years of memories in the Yampa Valley.
- Aug. 10: Search and Rescue responder Jerry Alsum retells the story of the infamous Rocky Mountain Airways 1978 plane crash and rescue on Buffalo Pass in "The Miracle on Buffalo Pass."
- Aug. 17: Trudith Fisher recounts her ancestry in Routt County and her local roots in "Steamboat Springs & Columbine: A Fisher Family History."
- Aug. 24: "Winnieís Day." Through diary pages, historic newspapers, and family photographs, Diane Hitchens Holly reveals the extraordinary life of Winnifred Hitchens, a rural school teacher and ranch wife in Milner in 1918.
- Aug. 31: Grand County Historical Associationís Executive Director, Shanna Ganne, shares Grand County history in "Grand Countyís Historic Treasures."
to view or print Brown Bag Summer Storytelling Series.
to view or print the Summer Programs and Events Schedule.